When do I need to get a Building Permit?
Most people realize that building permits are required for new home construction or additions but do not realize that building permits are also required for many smaller projects. These projects include, but are not limited to, interior or exterior alteration projects, fences, decks, sheds, retaining walls, swimming pools and hot tubs. If you are planning any type of construction, make sure you or your contractor contact the Township early in the planning stages to determine exactly what will be required for your project. Construction may be halted if the proper permits are not obtained prior to beginning a project.
How long does it take to get a building permit?
State law allows 30 days for the issuance of a building permit. Township staff tries to turn them around as quickly as possible but it is best to apply as far in advance of the project start as possible.
Building Permit Applications
- Residential Building Permit Application*
- Residential Building "Small Project" Permit Application*
- Non-Residential Building Permit Application*
- Electrical Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Application
* May require additional documents which are available at the Township office.
Please contact the Township Building/Code Enforcement Department at 412-782-1400 or send email with any concerns or questions you may have regarding construction projects or building permits.